We’ll jump in headfirst with a few specific tactics for targeting business owners with Facebook Ads, however, if you’re looking for the basics on where to start please scroll down for more of a step-by-step approach.
Strategies for targeting business owners with your ads:
- Target Business Page Owners: A very simple tactic we like to employ is to target business page owners under the detailed targeting section, enter “business page owners” or “Facebook page admin”. While it’s not always accurate, it’s likely that an administrator of a Facebook business page is in fact a business owner or key decision maker
- Lookalike Audiences: Create a Lookalike Audience based on your existing customer list or website visitors. Facebook will identify users who resemble your current customer base and display your ads to them. This can help you reach business owners who share similar characteristics with your existing customers.
- Job Title Targeting: Utilize Facebook’s job title targeting feature to specifically target individuals with job titles commonly associated with business owners. Some examples include CEO, Founder, Owner, President, Managing Director, or Entrepreneur. This targeting option helps narrow down your audience to individuals likely to own or manage a business.
- Industry-specific Targeting: If you have a product or service tailored to specific industries, utilize Facebook’s interest and behavior targeting options to reach business owners in those industries. For example, if you provide software for restaurants, you can target individuals interested in restaurant management or those who have shown behavior related to the restaurant industry.
- Business-related Publications: Consider targeting individuals who follow or have expressed an interest in business-related publications, magazines, or influential blogs. This can include publications like Forbes, Entrepreneur, Inc., Fast Company, or industry-specific publications that cater to business owners.
- LinkedIn Audience Integration: Use Facebook’s integration with LinkedIn to target users who have LinkedIn profiles with specific job titles or industries. This allows you to tap into the professional network of LinkedIn and reach business owners who may have Facebook accounts.
- Retargeting Website Visitors: Install the Facebook Pixel on your website to track visitors. Create custom audiences based on the actions they’ve taken on your site, such as visiting specific product pages or completing a lead form. You can retarget these website visitors with tailored ads to keep your business top of mind.
- B2B Lookalike Audiences: If you have a B2B business, you can create Lookalike Audiences based on your existing B2B customers. By uploading a customer list of businesses you’ve worked with, Facebook can identify similar businesses and target them with your ads.
Remember to continually test and refine your targeting strategies based on the results you observe. Facebook’s advertising platform provides valuable insights and performance metrics to help you optimize your campaigns and ensure you’re effectively reaching your target audience of business owners.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to target business owners on Facebook:
- Create a Facebook Business Page: If you haven’t already, set up a Facebook Business Page for your own business or the business you’re representing. This will be the starting point for your advertising efforts.
- Access Meta Business Suite Go to Facebook Ads Manager by clicking on the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner of Facebook and selecting “Manage Ads” or by visiting business.facebook.com.
- Define your campaign goal: Determine the objective of your advertising campaign. Facebook offers various objectives like brand awareness, lead generation, website traffic, and more. Choose the objective that aligns with your goals.
- Create a new campaign: Click on the “Create” button in Ads Manager to start a new campaign. Select the objective you defined in the previous step.
- Set up ad targeting: In the ad set level, you can define your target audience. To target business owners specifically, you can use the following targeting options:
- Demographics: Select parameters that align with typical business owners, such as age, gender, education level, and job titles.
- Interests: Include interests relevant to business ownership, entrepreneurship, business-related publications, and industry-specific topics.
- Behaviors: Choose behaviors that indicate business ownership or business-related activities, such as small business owners, entrepreneurs, or those who have expressed an interest in starting a business.
- Job Titles: Target individuals with specific job titles that are typically associated with business owners or decision-makers in companies.
- Connections: If you have a Facebook Page or event related to business, you can target people who are connected to it or their friends.
- Refine your targeting: Experiment with additional targeting options to narrow down your audience further. This can include location, language, income level, and more, depending on your specific business niche and target market.
- Ad creative: Create compelling ad creatives, including engaging images or videos, informative copy, and a clear call-to-action. Tailor your messaging to resonate with business owners and highlight the value or benefits of your product or service.
- Set your budget and schedule: Determine your advertising budget and choose the duration of your campaign. You can set a daily or lifetime budget, depending on your preference.
- Review and launch your campaign: Double-check your campaign settings, targeting options, and ad creative before launching your campaign. Once you’re satisfied, click the “Publish” or “Launch” button to start running your ads.
- Monitor and optimize: Regularly review the performance of your ads using Facebook Ads Manager. Analyze metrics like click-through rates, conversions, and engagement to understand how your campaign is performing. Make adjustments as necessary to improve your targeting or optimize your ads.
Remember, Facebook’s advertising platform offers numerous advanced targeting options and features. Take the time to explore and experiment with different strategies to refine your targeting and maximize the effectiveness of your campaigns.